Sundial – Step it Up

I made my own sundial by using a paper plate, blue tack and a lolly stick from the ice block I had just eaten.   I had to wait till the next day to place it in the sun as it was not sunny the day I made it.  I placed it in the sun at 9am and marked it every hour until 3pm.  It was not easy as it turned out to be a cloudy day.  This is my completed sun dial with the marks on every hour.  I am going to make one out of metal with my Dad that I can leave outside in the garden as I think they are really cool.

One thought on “Sundial – Step it Up

1. Kia ora Lucas,

It’s Charlotte again, a Summer Learning Journey Blog Commenter. You have made an awesome sundial. If only the weather had been better for this activity but you still managed to do a great job!

Isn’t it amazing how these work? I wonder what other devices they used in the olden days would still work now? Can you think of any?

I am so happy to hear that you are going to make a new sundial out of metal to put in the backyard – that would be so cool! It would be interesting to watch it work on a really sunny day! I would love to see it when you end up making it.

Ngā Mihi Nui
    Charlotte Visser
    Summer Learning Journey